Tracking Time, the first step to powerful time management

I am very picky when it comes to adding a piece of software to my favourite apps list. By `my favourite apps list' I mean standalone applications that do not need a browser to run.

 Yet, a very sleek application quickly made it to my fav apps list. The application is called *** Kapow ***. Honestly, I just searched the meaning and it seems to be sort of an impolite word (according to Urban Dictionary) so we will try to ignore meaning of the word, and get to the function of the application.

Kapow 1.3.4 on Fedora 16 (Verne)
    Kapow is so simple that it will soon become indispensable to track your time. No much clutter. Just a left panel to add / remove projects, large (start / stop) and cancel buttons to indicate starting or stopping a task, and a simple view with customized columns to see what you have accomplished.

The clue to having life-reflecting data is to start / stop tasks when you really begin or end (pause) working on them. The relatively large buttons make it easy to do this. Tracking your time per day should never become a task in itself. It should never consume more than (300) of your precious 5,184,000  seconds you have each day ... (This is my own theory, and the 300 seconds should mostly be spent typing a meaningful task and later having a helicopter view of the tasks)

This said, I have to confess that I am the most person who:
- fails to estimate duration for any given task (despite some previous experience doing a similar one);
- fails to track her time;
- fails to arrive on time (even if it is an outing);

To curb this, I am trying Kapow and it seems to be doing me a favour. Hopefully I can keep going on and making progress on time management (الحمد لله، ما شاء الله، لا قوة إلا بالله)  :)

Here is how to get Kapow on Fedora 16 (source code is available as well as packages for other Linux distros. It is GPL 3 licensed):

$ sudo wget -O /etc/yum.repos.d/gottcode.repo http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/home:/gottcode/Fedora_16/home:gottcode.repo

$ sudo yum install kapow


Trust me, it will make a difference in your life if you suffer from time-management issues.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

بس انت شكلِك ...

Inamorata

Arabic URLs in Varnish